Love in Japanese
Some important vocabulary words related to love
Every language has its share of love related words. Japanese is no exception. Today, let’s look at a few (clean) love words! This is for the romantic samurai within us all…
MOOD SETTING: Imagine a young samurai proposing to his kunoichi (female ninja) girlfriend and then setting out on a lonesome road to gain honor and riches for their future life together…
|THE KISS WORDS:|
1) キス kisu – That’s right. Its from English! (pronounced key-sue)
sai go no kisu
the last kiss
2) ちゅう chuu – This is the standard Japanese for ‘kiss’
USAGE: ちゅう して下さい。 chuu shite kudasai.
‘Please give me a kiss.’
3) 口付け kuchi zuke – (lit. mouth + attach)
4) 接吻 seppun – an old-fashion romantic word, but still used
gojira wa seppun shiyou to kiti chan ni chikazuita ga, nigerareta.
Godzilla thought to kiss Hello Kitty and approached her, but she ran away.
|THE OTHER WORDS:|
5) 一目惚れ hito me bore – ‘love at first sight’
6) ラブレター rabu reta– – Love letter
USAGE: ラブレターか 果たし状か？
rabu reta- ka, hatashi jou ka?
‘Is this a love letter, or a letter of challenge (to battle)?’
|THE LOVE WORDS:|
7) 愛 ai – ‘Love’
ai shite iru kara
‘Because I love you!’
RELATED WORDS: 愛妻 ai sai (beloved wife – a wife that loves and cares for her husband); 愛妻弁当 aisai bentou – a Bento (lunch box) prepared by one’s loving wife)
8) 恋 koi – ‘Love’
恋人 koi bito (KOI + (B)HITO person) a lover, boyfriend or girlfriend
恋しい koishii (to miss (something or someone), to yearn for)
9) 好き suki – ‘to like’ (this is usually pronounced as ‘ski’ but sometimes the ‘U’ is pronounced)
anata ga suki
‘I like you.’ – simple but effective
10) ラブラブ rabu rabu – ‘Love Love’ (When said this sounds like ‘rub rub’ but it means two people are in love.)
11) 愛の表現 ai no hyougen – “an expression of love”
sore wa ai no hyougen desu ka?
Is that an expression of love?
Is this site helping your Japanese? Do you have a spare $1 to help Clay pay the bills?
DarwinGenome Guides – helpful academic writing tips for students
Expert assistance with languages homework help for every student at ezassignmenthelp
123Writings.com writes admission essays since 2013