I’ve been working on an idea for the new TheJapanesePage.com all afternoon. Sometimes I get an idea and it works smoothly. Other times… are more like today.
I had an idea to improve upon the random kanji as displayed on the current version of TheJapanesePage.com. I played with Swish grabbing data from a flat text file containing the kanji information. Swish is an inexpensive way to make Flash animations. For the most part it has been all I’ve needed over the years. (However I did buy the Adobe Suite which includes Flash and as soon as it arrives I’ll have a lot of fun playing with it)
After an hour or so I managed to get a script to read text from a text file and display it any way I wanted it to. Small problem however. It wouldn’t display Japanese. The text file was Unicode, but apparently Swish is not.
I spent the next three hours wrestling with that. Then I decided to make each kanji a swf itself and then just have a javascript script call any of the swf files randomly. Another two to three hours later, I had five working examples.
Anyway, working on the new site has eaten up my 1Nichi1Kai time. As soon as the site is moved, I will have a lot of time for fun – working on 1Nichi1Kai, making videos and audio stuffs. 🙂

Sharing is Caring...

Join our two TheJapanShop.com email lists for freebies, exclusive coupons, and the latest information.

Kanji Girl

Get your copy of Kanji 100 (eBook) for FREE!

Super Suiyoubi

Get Super Suiyoubi once-a-week sale

Polish your Japanese!

Get your FREE email courses, or Be A Patron.